20070611

Caffeine over coffee: a comparison of real and hidden costs

This quote appeared in Consumerist's best posts of last week: "And, I'm sorry, I'm really serious about this last one: make your own coffee."

Amateur.

I throw the gauntlet down. I say: Stop drinking your daily coffee and start ingesting only that part of coffee that you need. You own the Tshirt with the molecule on it, junkie, so don't pretend you don't know right away what I'm talking about.

Caffeine tablets cost in the neighborhood of $5 for a pack of 60 100-mg tabs (source: one drugstore's website.) Reports vary, but 100mg is about what you're getting in one cup. If you go this route, a cup of coffee costs less than the $2.09 you'd shell out at Starblechs and starts being ($5.00 / 60 = $0.0833 - eight cents? a venti's worth of caffeine costs a quarter?)

So now you can buy that much caffeine with the dirty pennies you can dig out of your desk drawer. Don't even buy No-Doz. The off-brands are cheaper.

Making your own coffee seems like a great cheap solution to begin with. And caffeine tablets seem like they lack the virtue you appreciate in the drink. But if you're on a budget, you might have to invest in new equipment, and you're going to be making yourself *not* buy the expensive stuff that you like; you're going to feel like you have to buy cheaper stuff that you despise. So how much worse is swallowing a tiny bitter pill?

There are hidden costs to the daily cup, too - I didn't see them until I downsized to just the drug itself:

- No more funky breath. I have some serious mouth-stank about an hour after drinking any kind of coffee. I have to brush, floss, brush my tongue and all up in "my situation" (thanks, P.Diddy) in order to not ward away people at meetings. So, I'm saving 5 minutes on the clean-up - plus all the gum or mints that I usually eat.

- No more bleaching my teeth all the time. One more product I don't have to use as much.

- No more upset stomach. I drank a coffee a day, sometimes two, for at least ten years, so I had forgotten about all the acid I was pouring in there. Now that I'm off it, everything still works like it used to, just with less oogy tummy.

So give it up already! You can still still be awake and hyped up all day! You can still go to your indie coffeehouse and chat up that cute barista! You can still go hang out with your friends! Just get juice or a pastry instead (I *do* draw the line at eating sugar packets, okay) and slip yourself a little caff tab on the sly. And enjoy the sanity of living your life a tiny bit more simply.

Me, I've started only enjoying really good coffee during a long, slow Sunday, over a big breakfast that lasts all day and a newspaper made from actual newsprint (cost: two tall drips.) Now THAT is living.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A multi-vitamin is no substitute for a well rounded diet of healthy foods and a caffeine pill is no substitute for fresh brewed coffee or tea.

Fresh brewed coffee or tea produces a product that's the result of a complex evolution so it contains more than just caffeine. In moderation, coffee provides benefits beyond just waking you up in the morning. Search on keywords like coffee/tea/research/studies/antioxidants for more info.

You probably knew all that already, so I'm surprised you switched to the straight caffeine and not one of the alternatives like guarana, yerba mate, etc.

My only problem with coffee is moderation, so I switched to green tea blends and the occasional guarana or yerba mate drink. Not as much caffeine in green tea, but the health benefits are much greater.

(Awesome paper ruler tip, btw, thanks!)

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Romaine said...

Great work.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://isadacote.ibnsites.com/onomak.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://fizyqypin.100freemb.com/kulehyr.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I started to get real money.
It gets down to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LectTeeve xaikalitag Scegubwacemum [url=http://uillumaror.com]iziananatt[/url] Affeboott http://gusannghor.com SemaOutrame

3:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up, this weekend is fastidious in support of me, for the reason that this occasion i am reading this enormous educational paragraph here at my residence.

Also visit my blog: Cheapest Car Insurance

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home